Shadows Descent


Alpha group session 2

The party traveled towards Port Leclaire, arriving at the gates after a day of overland travel. At the gates the party was confronted by the town guards and questioned regarding their intentions and from where they came from. The party explained that they had been on a ship that wrecked of the coast and that they were the lone survivors. The guards called for Legate Paramus who, upon his arrival ordered the party to hand over their weapons and be brought before the Governor. Krags wolf Skotax was caged and led away on a cart.

At the Governors office the party was accused of being spies from New Lordas and sinking the ship they were on. The party attempted to deny the accusations but the fact that Gimble was wearing the Governors Helm of Thought Reading salvaged from the wreck, and that Nero is a known pirate, only sealed their fate. The governor ordered them arrested to await trial, weaponless and out numbered they submitted.

The party was escorted to a guard barracks with an attached prison block by Legate Paramus and two of the Governors elite guards. Once there, the party was stripped of their belongings which were locked in a chest in the jailors office. During the search of their belongings a guard found the guard insignias that Krag had collected from the patrol they killed. This ilicited an argument and rougher treatment from the guards. The party was then thrown into separate cells to await their trial.

Across from Lyali's cell a Halfling smuggler identified himself as a thief through Thieves Cant. Lyali and the smuggler spoke briefly and he explained that he had a lockpick but couldn't reach the lock. The party agreed to break him out as well if he shared his lockpick. The Halfling tossed his lockpick to Lyali, who nearly dropped it. Lyali deftly picked the lock as an unatural darkness fell over the area, when all of a sudden a large thud was heard from the Halfling's cell followed by a scream and gurgling.

A guard entered the cell block to investigate the noise. While gasping looking into the Halflings cell, Lyaly slipped out of her cell and slit the guards throat with a dagger she had concealed earlier. Then Lyali saw sinister glowing eyes in the darkness of the cell staring back at her. She quickly grabbed the cell keys from the downed guard, turned, and freed her nearest ally Gimble. Gimble took the key and went to free Nero as the Halfling's cell door burst open and a shadowy canine like creature stalked out into the hall and released a terrifying below.

Lyali turned towards the shadow creature and began stripping her clothing while stalking back down the hall. By the time she reached the shadow beast she herself had transformed into an Auburn furred wolf that charged the beast growling fiercly. Gimble passed the key to Nero and then sprinted off to recover their weapons from the jailors office. He was quickly joined by Nero and Krag who also reequiped themselves. Just then a guard burst in and confronted them. Krag turned to face the guard while shouting for Nero to assist Lyali.

Krag and Gimble faced off with the guard while Nero headed back to assist Lyali. Krag scored a devasting blow with his axe, and with his and Gimbles aid, Lyali and Nero felled the shadow beast as well. Lyali transformed back into an Elf and dressed while her companions finished ransacking the chest. Gimble pocketed a fancy case containing a sophisticated pistol which must have been in the possession of the Halfling smuggler.

As the party finished recovering their confiscated goods, they heard a howl that matched that of the shadow beast, as alarm bells began clanging in the distance. The party headed back through the barracks and came upon the scene of some guards locked in mortal combat with another shadow beast. They left the guards to their fate and headed out onto the street.

Outside they found Skotax howling in a cage strapped to a cart. Lyali picked the lock and they beat a hasty retreat down the street. While retreating a severly injured elite guard staggered out of the barracks calling after them. Two crossbowmen also came scambling across the roof to take aim at the companions. Gimble turned to face them and released a fireball grenade that killed them all. Unfortunatley the blast drew the attention of some guards on horseback nearby that came galloping towards them. Amidst the chaos of alarm bells, the howls of dark beasts, and flames the party ran into the night looking for a place to hide.

With the sounds of hooves on the stone streets bearing down, the group slipped into an unlocked home. They hid their until the owner returned, at which point they captured him, binding him to a chair and gagging him. The next morning the party paid the old man that owned the home for his trouble while releasing from his bindings. While discussing how they might escape the city, Nero suggested an old friend that may assist them. They then headed off towards the home of a merchant from Nero's past that may be able to smuggle them out of the city.

Nero led the party through the back streets to a mansion where he asked them to wait. He went up to it alone requesting the lady of the house. When Nero's old flame Brandali "Brandy" met him at the door, she struck with all the fury of a lover scorned. She then embraced him passionetly, and after brief words Nero motioned the party over. Brandy agreed to smuggle the party out of the city but revealed that they must leave immediatly because her fiance Legate Paramus was looking for them. They headed for the city gates with Skotax and Lyali, in wolf form, caged, Nero and Krag cloaked in magical invisability by Gimble, and Gimble himself sitting with the caravan master.

The caravan master led the wagon concealing the party towards a city gate. They were stopped there but a well placed bribe allowed them exit. While escaping Nero hopped off the wagon, still invisible, and caused some mischief by tieing boot laces together and stealing back the bribe.

The party rode with the caravan eastward for a few days until they turned north towards Cordica. Disembarking from the wagons on foot they continued east towards the Lordisian controlled Fort Rearden. After about a days travel on foot the party was beset upon by Legate Paramus and a cadre of mounted Malakarian guards. A fierce battle ensued that ended with some of the party severly injured and Paramus and his men dead. The party collected the soldiers horses and continued off towards Port Reardon…



I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.